Vitamin C is considered as the only active isomer of ascorbic acid. At the same time, ascorbic acid is a water soluble compound, which the human body does not produce or accumulate, therefore, you need to get it through food and other supplements. Vitamin C benefits fade within 14 hours, that is why it is important to have foods rich in vitamin C in your daily diet. Excess of the vitamin leaves the body along with the urine. Find Vitamin C on Jiji – https://jiji.ng/258-vitamin-c
Vitamin C sources:
The important sources of ascorbic acid are citrus fruits like lemons, oranges and grapes, leafy vegetables. There is a significant amount of the vitamin in cantaloupes and kiwi, brussels sprouts, broccoli, chilies, red peppers, baked potatoes. Unfortunately,the amount of vitamin C in foods can be reduced by cooking at high temperatures or simply by storing too long, so steаming your vegetables will lessen vitamin C losses. Luckily, many of the best food sources of vitamin C can be consumed raw.
Health benefits of vitamin C:
1. Improves the condition of the gums and teeth. As a powerful antioxidant, Vitamin C is involved in producing collagen, which strengthens the blood vessels and body muscles.
2. Helps healing wounds and bone fractures; improves skin, stops beriberi, prevents scurvy. It also enables the absorption of iron and therefore strengthens the body’s resistance to infections.
3. Boosts immune system and helps to treat colds and the common flu.
4. Regulates redox processes; it is also involved in the regulation of carbohydrate metabolism and blood coagulation.
5. It has a positive effect on mental state and mental performance, helping to deal with stress.
How much vitamin C do I need?
The amount of vitamin C you need is strictly individual and is determined by:
• Age: The younger a person is, the better his or her body can absorb the vitamins. So the amount of vitamin C intake for elderly is significantly higher.
• Form of activity: if you exercise actively, than Vitamin C is an essential component of the diet as it may reduce possibility of muscle damage and fatigue
• Climate conditions: In extreme temperature conditions, the possibility of getting sick is high. So it is suggested to increase your vitamin C intake by 50%
• Bad habits: Smokers should consider taking vitamin C regularly that the body can repair damage caused by free radicals.
If you do not eat enough food, which is high in vitamin C you can take it as a dietary supplement. You can take it alone or in combination with other nutrients. The vitamin C in dietary supplements usually comes in the form of ascorbic acid, but there are other forms available, such as sodium ascorbate, calcium ascorbate and other mineral ascorbates. Jiji.ng has a big assortment of high quality vitamin C and supplements available for purchase.